Friday 6 May 2022

Corgi Model Club: 303S Mercedes-Benz Roadster re-issue

 


The recent release of the Corgi Model Club's version of 303S Mercedes 300 SL Roadster is an impressive model. This would have been seen first sometime in 1961 when Corgi issued the original. That started without a driver and with fixed wheels so this is a little later than March 1961 but still a good copy of a 60-year-old original.

The colour is pretty much spot-on as is the ridiculous-looking tall driver! 


The base, of course, gives the Chinese production away and, surprisingly, it is a solid piece of thicker metal rather than the thin tin plate which the first model had. I would have thought that the tin base would have been easy to copy so this is a little disappointing. The suspension does have the right 'feel', however, as the original was decidedly firm to the extent that, even now, many dealers sell a 303S as a 303! Instead of the plate device that Corgi used, however, the Club have used wires. (I only know that as  there was a report about someone's model arriving in pieces and we got to see inside!)


In my first draft of this article I mentioned that I wished the Club would make a separate RN decal. I now realise that the transfer on the original model is one complete item with the number included so what they have done here is actually correct. 


So this looks great. the wheels are good and the axles don't shine out at one as much as they have done in the past on some models. The colours are superb and the finish excellent. OK, as always, the machine spraying is too perfect for my taste but it's still very, very good.

The box has the usual font and finish issues as have all the boxes. They could do something about the font and get that right but I accept that printing processes make the sheen less easy to avoid. An intriguing addition to this model's box is the holograph 'Daimler' sticker on one end. I have no idea why that is there. Did Daimler-Benz insist on this branding? I don't recall seeing anything 'Daimler' in other advertisements for Mercedes.


This comes in the thin package and I fear some may not make it through the postal journey without damage to the screen as there is no additional protection inside the box other than the thin sheet of plastic you can see in the photo. Having said that, I have found the Club staff very helpful and they have replaced those that have suffered without question in the past.


Sorry for the late review but I am only now catching up with the issues. Hopefully, the Club will have me back on track to receive the Austin Countryman and subsequent issues just as soon as anyone else and I can be amongst the first to bring you the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment