Tuesday 9 July 2024

Corgi Qualitoys: the Water Truck

 


This is my first Corgi Qualitoys model. Firstly, they're a lot bigger than I had expected, more like 1:36 although a scale isn't possible because there is no such thing as the real brand in 1:1. 


The brand is called Turbine Trucks and this is inscribed on the base along with Qualitoys by Corgi
 and  Made in Gt. Britain. Note that this is a different brand to Benbros Qualitoys which had been produced from the early 1950s to 1965. The Turbine Truck models have a TT logo as you can see on the front of this one.

This model is a Water Truck but I have no idea what its catalogue number is and it is not one of the first eight issued in 1969 but one from the second batch in 1971. As they were discontinued shortly afterwards these late models seem quite scarce and I have no clue as to the production quantities but I can't imagine they were very big numbers.


I had noticed in pictures what looked like a plug at the top but I don't see how that can be removed. It rotates, however, and you can align two small holes which would allow water to be drained without causing a vacuum inside.


There is a larger plug underneath where it looks like you would fill the green plastic container if you wished. Now that would be great fun and, although these were supposed to be designed for younger children than the normal Corgi range, I don't recall any of the main range that could be filled with water and driven around! (OK, there was a Dolphinarium and a big Fire Truck but I think these were a bit later.)

It's interesting to see the screw holding the plastic container in place. I have not tried to undo it and wonder whether the container can be simply removed. The construction is otherwise two rivets and a metal twist retaining the cab element in place. The plastic interior also provides the red (in this case) horizontal decoration line around the cab.

The white cab and yellow chassis appears the same as for the Horse Transporter and the Breakdown Truck.

These are very simple items and I won't claim to be madly enthusiastic about them but they do have a certain charm and I shall continue to acquire the whole set, once I have figured out just what the whole set should be! As I have said previously, part of the reason for my interest is the lack of information about the series that I have been able to unearth so far. That, plus what appears to have been a pretty short production life for all of them, but especially the last few, makes them worth a closer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment