Thursday 4 July 2024

Corgi Qualitoys: the odd ones

There are some curious additions to the Corgi range in September 1969. Several models based on a 'Turbine Truck' with its double T logo were issued, seemingly eight all at once, with some sold together in packs too. They were simple toys, said to be sturdy and designed for younger children to play with. They all had free-spinning wheels with 'pneumatic' hollow tyres and identical cabs but different treatment at the rear and it appears that each model had just the one colour scheme. They had interiors but no suspension. Despite being supposedly 'simple' some had some quite impressive features or fittings. 


701 is the basic Truck and could also be bought in a pack with the matching 708 Trailer.


702 is the Truck with a Side Tipper. The rear section has a hydraulic arm that allows it to be tipped.


Here is 702 in its original packing - a bubble pack with descriptions of some others in the series on the reverse.


703 is a Breakdown Truck with a working winch, operated by a handle on the other side, not visible in this picture.


704 is a Tower Truck with a plastic cage-like structure that can be raised and rotated.



705 is a Horse Transporter, with a white pony included.



706 is a Giraffe Transporter. Corgi seemed to be keen on giraffes! The box, however, is different to their 508 model.


707 is a Fire Truck. the ladders strapped to the side and poles can be attached to each other to create a long-reach device. It is illustrated here with 712, a Fire Hose Truck which has a retractable rubber hose. These two would be available together in pack 750.


708 the Truck Trailer


This one is a bit of a mystery, being a Water Truck. I have seen this referred to in some other research but I don't know which number was allocated to it or whether it was a later issue. It looks like one could actually add water through a cap at the top. I have yet to discover! 
[Update: yes, it can be filled, but through a plug underneath.]


Another mystery is this Dumper Truck. At first I thought that someone had simply put a Corgi Dumper rear section on to an old TT chassis but I now see it has a hydraulic attachment and is all original as far as I can tell. There has been a reference to a Dumper Truck model too but, again, when this was issued I have no clue.

I have, however, just noticed that the Little Red Book accompanying the Great Book of Corgi refers to 'the last six Qualitoys being issued during the year' in 1971. It does not, though, tell us what they were. So one may be the Water Tanker, another the Dumper Truck and there is also a Bulldozer, no.715.


This one is the first I've found which isn't based on the TT Truck. So there remain three, apparently. I wonder whether they might be sets? I know of  two packs - 750 for the Fire Truck and Trailer and there is one that I don't know a number for containing the matching 701 and 708. That still leaves one. Or maybe still three other models, although I would have expected to have found some reference to at least one different model had there been one.

From what I can gather, there are not that many of these around and the series was not particularly popular. Prices, though, are cheap at the moment and so I shall try to get hold of the whole series while I can see some available at reasonable prices. Most do seem plentiful but you need to look for the better condition models and many have scuffs or scratches in the front window which is vulnerable. Nevertheless, I don't mind a few scratches. 

And, yes, you'll have noted that I decided not to go after the 1:36 series. These Qualitoys were a cheaper and better bet, in my view, and a little mysterious still.

1 comment:

  1. I remember having the standard truck in the early 70s but have no memory of there being any others. It was about the right scale to sit alongside assorted Tonka construction vehicles so that's where it lived.

    ReplyDelete