Saturday 9 September 2023

Corgi Model Club: an unusual Studebaker Golden Hawk

 


Here is the latest addition to what is now a substantial range of Corgi models from the Corgi Model Club, the 211S Studebaker Golden Hawk.


This is very close to a copy of the late edition which was painted in metallic gold, a slightly less common edition than the very shiny gold or silver-plated models that had been fitted with an interior and suspension. I say very close because this is a marvellous copy, with nothing that I can see to distinguish it from an original in the casting or as I look at it here. There is, though, one difference: you will not find an original with free-spinning wheels.

As it happens I have been searching for one of these with smooth fixed wheels for many years. All I have found so far is a repainted one which has appeared twice; once with QDT and again on Ebay. It's been done well but has the usual 'additional elements' that restorers find so hard to resist when they have that paintbrush in their hand.


This re-issue is otherwise very faithful indeed with no silver on the rear panel nor red on the lights. Perhaps the silver on the bumpers fore and aft is a little 'heavy'-looking but that is really extremely minor and probably no different to another issued model than the only one I've got at the moment to compare it with.

In the box you get the now familiar thin plastic sheet wrapped around the car and the usual certificate.


Try as hard as I might, I cannot see anything other than the wheels to distinguish this on display.


Are those side lights just a tiny bit fatter?


Could that rear badge be a little too low?



It all looks very good to me. I was looking for an original in better condition than mine (as well as the possibly non-existent smooth wheel variant) but this will do fine in the meantime!

Another super bit of work from the designers at the Club and their distant manufacturers.



No comments:

Post a Comment