Tuesday 3 August 2021

There will be two Land Rover Breakdown Trucks!

There are, indeed, two Land Rover Breakdown Trucks coming out soon from Corgi! I have updated my last article on this and this is just to clarify matters for those of you who, like me, were confused.

Corgi's model is what appears to be the first in what may or may not be a series of 'retro' models. They are issuing the 417S model - the one with suspension and free-spinning wheels but still with a tin canopy - and it comes with a pretty good copy of the old style box, advertised at £19.99 but my pre-order has cost me over £25 when postage and VAT were added.

The Corgi Model Club are issuing a 417 reproduction - the first type with fixed smooth wheels, no interior or suspension and the first type of jib. Here is a sample of the box design they've published.


I expect this to cost the usual £23.98 including postage and this is due to arrive anytime in the next week or two when I shall be able to review the model and provide some photos.

I have no date for when the 417S will arrive and I am also intrigued to see whether Corgi will be issuing any more in their series. I am sure they must be tempted as there appears to be a huge market for these models but it still strikes me as slightly odd to have the two separate streams in operation. I am sure that the same production processes are being used in China and, maybe, here in the UK too.

It's an odd situation and it will be interesting to see how things progress from here. Hopefully a collector in the distant future will find these notes useful when trying to figure out which model came from where and when!


No comments:

Post a Comment