Saturday 17 July 2021

The Corgi Model Club: Lotus-Climax F1 Racing Car

 


The fifth new 'old' Corgi is now being sent out to those who have ordered it in the UK. It is another remarkably good reproduction and I cannot see anything to distinguish this from the original (apart from the very shiny axles and Made in China on the base!)

As I have remarked for previous issues, this is almost too perfect. One almost needs to find a blemish in the casting or crack in the Racing Number transfers! 


Above is my original. This has exhausts that point up slightly whereas the new one has them parallel. I suspect that that is a result of time and play on mine. The only other difference I can detect is the slightly better defined eye protection / goggles on the driver.

The packing is a rather too shiny, but otherwise accurate, box with the usual 'CE' data on one panel. There is a stiff piece of card that wraps around the front and a piece of polystyrene-like material to protect the rear end.

The flaps are annoying and I really would prefer that the production people revert to the original box style. These flaps incorporate two slits which provide a locking effect but this, in turn, makes them extremely difficult to open without damage in the area of the slits. I can understand that they like cars to stay in the boxes whilst being moved around and the simpler style of folding flaps are more likely to come undone but just how much a problem is this in reality?

The only other item in the large box in which this is delivered is the square Certificate of 'Authenticity'.




I am inclined to take issue with this text but somewhat reluctant as one would assume that the people involved with this project know a lot more than I do. However, it states that this model was 'deleted in 1975' whereas I have always considered that the 158 model replaced it in 1969. I wonder whether the producers have simply noted that a 'Lotus-Climax' was produced through to the 1970s and it would be the last of the model with this name that ended in 1975. I have 1973 as the end date for the 158 model but larger scale models followed.


My certificate is numbered 004254 which would seem to imply that a significant quantity of these has been produced and there is no clear maximum being produced. Even 4000+ collectors, if they really have started at 000001, must be encouraging for this venture.















No comments:

Post a Comment