Wednesday 26 October 2016

We need to go back to the Pony Club again.


Just as you might have thought it safe to get out of the farmyard, there's something else you'll need to look out for with the Pony Club Gift Set 15. 

As I have previously mentioned, the interior of the 438 Land Rover changed at some time in the early 1970s, after Whizzwheels (I believe), and so there are the baby blue editions with both types as well as the darker blue Flying Club Gift Set 19 and metallic green issue.

The missing one arrived today and I am hoping that completes the range. One thing that did strike me, though, was the distinct difference in shade between my Type I which is the normal baby blue (grey tow bar and steering wheel) and the Type II which is definitely darker. That's the one with the black hook and all yellow interior.

This came as a set but the horsebox / pony trailer was the normal baby blue colour. They may have come from different sources, though, so we need to look out for the darker horsebox now.

That is not where the story ends, though, dear collector. I looked again at the ridiculous number of these 112 Horseboxes that I now have around the house. I was looking at any colour differences but did find something else which is actually more interesting. I have one with an open vent on the top. All the others are closed!



So there is something you need to take a look at. If your model is closed you'll need an open one, or the other way round, of course. And while you're at it, you may want to get a darker blue one too (I am assuming they exist, being the later shade adopted). Surely there can be no more variations on these things? I had always considered these trailers and horseboxes to be pretty plain affairs but they've become quite entertaining.

Below are the two types of interior for the Land Rover in baby blue. I am really hoping that the normal wheels and cast wheels versions only have the Type I interior with the grey steering wheel. I am pretty sure that has to be the case but - who knows what you'll find! I should imagine that a cast wheel version (in either baby blue or metallic green) of the 438 with a Type II interior does not exist or would be very scarce indeed.

Type I lemon with grey plastic steering wheel

Type II all yellow plastic

No comments:

Post a Comment