Friday, 9 October 2026

Corgi Model Club: Rover 2000TC in white

 


A fairly inexpensive month for the Corgi Model Club as September's issue is the #275 Rover 2000TC now available in white. This has always been sought after by collectors and originals command a notably higher price as the white version does seem very much less common. So I can imagine many people will be delighted to see this finally arrive in October (or whenever their subscription reaches this model).

Very many originals can look a bit tired, the white finish showing every little mark. This copy, though, almost shines as it emerges from the pack and I only wish all my original Golden Jacks models had such lovely clean and shiny wheels!


This is an excellent reproduction, as was the green one that you may have seen first in April 2024. I wish that one day I can praise the Club for sourcing some glass 'jewels' instead of the poor plastic that they continue to use but that is really the only fault I can find with the model.










The box has the ugly panel with all kind of mostly unnecessary data and declares a 6+ icon which I presume is intended to dissuade anyone younger than 7 from playing with it. That seems to be about the average age that whoever edits their Certificates of Authenticity as once again the text is annoyingly lacking.


After this Rover, Corgi went on to produce five further models. I accept that there were only two more in 1968 but why not mention the other three, or perhaps even the proposed other Golden Jacks models which, with some late change in production , received Whizzwheels instead but were shown in catalogues as being Golden Jacks and had boxes initially with last minute stickers to cover up the incorrect text regarding features.

I shall write about the Golden Jacks series in a little while.

The model is almost worth buying for the spares that it can provide, by way of wheels and a spare wheel housing that inevitably gets broken on originals.



No comments:

Post a Comment