Thursday, 6 August 2026

That figures?

 I have recently acquired lots of figures, animals and assorted bits and pieces that often go missing from Corgi sets or the models which they may have accompanied in a box when first issued. Most of them I have been able to identify or were very familiar with and I shall be adding them to associated items that I have for sale where I didn't have them already.

There are a few, however, that I am not sure where they belong and maybe someone can help? 


The first one looks like a race official from the #1501 set of Racing Drivers and Pit Mechanics but the one I have in my set, and which has appeared in all the sets I've seen, is all white and the information on the board is different.


Next is another character, who looks like he belongs at Silverstone.


Again, he is quite differently painted to a couple of #1503 Race Officials that I have. Like the chap above, it looks like the same person but very differently finished and with a different flag.


There is one chap in #1503 with the chequered flag . . .


 . . . but he has a full length coat, not a jacket. Everyone has a tie blowing in the wind, I see. I had not noticed that before!


The next chap is someone I really feel I should know and no doubt readers are shouting at their screens and I shall soon be feeling embarrassed. 


It's the wrench I don't remember. I think we have the same individual in blue overalls carrying a bottle of oil in the #1501 Garage Attendants group or maybe the Thames Wrecker where someone very similar, if not the same, is included together with a chap squatting down to change a wheel. But they're both blue. The orange overalls and lack of shirt or vest colour I cannot place, although that wrench I am sure I have seen somewhere.


Next is what looks like a young farm worker. Just as in the Country Farm Gift Set 4, where Corgi managed to make even Gerald from Clarkson's Farm seem normal, this is an odd-looking young chap, carrying a bucket or maybe a milk churn. Perhaps he is from an Agricultural Gift Set? I have never been able to examine one of these - and have always wanted one of the early Gift Set 22s with the 'farm green' #406S Land Rover and a yellow 101 trailer.


Next is a pair of penguins. I have searched high and low but do not see any sign of a penguin in any of Corgi's sets or issues. They may be intruders.


Here we have what looks like Elvis on traffic duty. I have no idea about this.


He is mounted on a strange base which might have been some way of attaching him to a scene on a display tray. His legs honestly don't look strong enough to me so perhaps he needed that extra support! This is a larger character so from something in the larger 1:36 scale.


Here we have a few sacks but in different sizes. Those shown above are significantly larger than those below. I think the smaller ones will be from one of the sets that included a conveyor. That could be Gift Set 64, the FC150 with Conveyor or Gift Set 47 Tractor and Conveyor. The larger ones may be from an Agricultural Set, although one would expect them to be the smaller size and I don't know a set that had bags in the later 1:36 scale.



I do know that this is from Gift Set 31, the Safari Land Rover set in 1:36 scale and not that easy to find now. It's often lost and no many sets were produced in the first place so this character could be quite scarce. I should have the set itself available in a while so do let me know if you would like this reserved.


Last of the mystery characters is this rather funny-looking sheep.


Once again, I am inclined to think this may have been included in an agricultural set. This sheep looks quite big but still not out of place with 1:43 scale models. I suppose, though, that if it was intended to be a lamb then it may belong in a 1:36 scale set. I can't think of one offhand, however.

It is possible that a couple of these items are from somewhere other than a Corgi model or set but my guess is that this is not the case and someone out there will recognise them all and explain the differences for the first few! No prizes - but handsome discounts may be negotiable if I have something in stock that you would like.

I have also added a few original boxes of tyres (and some loose ones) to the store and some other bits and pieces which you can see at this new section, called appropriately, Corgi bits and pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment