Monday 25 April 2022

Looking back at Land Rovers again.

For a long time I have been wondering about the different castings used for the 406 Land Rover. If you look closely there are many very small differences but the one that stands out for me as a specific variation which I should include in the Catalogue is the inclusion of 'handles' or 'steps' at the left and right rear lower corners.

After looking at all the models I could find in my Corgi collection, and a few more besides, I have been surprised to find that, without exception in this lot, models with smooth wheels had handles, models with shaped wheels did not.

Now I find it hard to believe that the decision to change the casting, or wear or change for another model, came at exactly the same time as the decision to start fitting shaped wheels instead of smooth wheels. So it must be the case that we may find smooth wheel models without handles and shaped wheel models with handles. I just hope that I find them before you as they'll be scarce and worth a premium depending upon just how rare they turn out to be.

Update a little later: after writing this I had rushed off and bought a nice-looking example of the smooth wheel model with no handles. Careful examination of these photos (well even not particularly careful examination) will show that I already had a couple of these in my collection! Shaped wheels with handles, however, do appear to be the ones that are still missing.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 



 


 


 

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment