Thursday 17 March 2022

Ultra-safe packing for the Citroen 'Le Dandy' Coupé


This very nice Citroen 'Le Dandy' Coupé arrived this week. It is the scarce edition in metallic blue and white with a chalky-green interior. These are not only hard to find but hard to find with suspension and both fog lamps in place. This had been played with and there are some minor marks on the bonnet but it one of the best I've seen and even has an original box.

It is missing a door panel and I can see that being something I will not find in a hurry! The metallic maroon models had a quite different bright yellow interior.



What was particularly remarkable about this arrival was the container it came in. Its previous owner must be some woodwork fanatic or carpenter of some description. Here's the box:



Every side has either 6 or 8 screws holding it in place. As if that wasn't enough it had silver-grey 'Duck' tape wrapped all around and a paper wrapping around that! Now, I am not going to complain as this certainly ensured that the contents were not damaged by anything colliding with the outside world! Indeed, it was quite nice to see someone taking so much trouble, although it was a bit OTT and I am sure the vast number of screws were not necessary. I thought I could release one side by just undoing 6 screws but then realised that the side had a further six holding it in through its edges. My usual screwdrivers were not up the job either as these were hard to turn and I had to go out in the pouring rain, getting soaked just to get a decent set of tools to undo them!

I suppose that if you have the timber lying around, a saw and plenty of screws going spare then this is an efficient way to pack things and not have to worry about the rigours of the journey. It would be expensive to post broad, however, as the whole thing weighed 700g or 1½lb.



No comments:

Post a Comment