Thursday 10 February 2022

The different 270 Aston Martin models

 

I have recently acquired two quite scarce editions of the 270 model Aston Martin and it seemed a good time to revisit the main differences but I've also found another.


I have written before about the different James Bond Aston Martin 270 models. To recap, there are 5 main editions:

  1. The first model with silver chrome bumpers 1968-69
  2. The second model with gold bumpers 1969-76
  3. Gold bumpers but with oval shape on base near exhaust 1976
  4. Whizzwheels with grey base early 1977
  5. Whizzwheels with silver base later 1977
Here is a timeline which includes wheels types and box types:


I must accredit this data to the man who produced something similar on www.corgi.free.fr/Pages/chronoscope.htm and which I have revised slightly.

Boxes are few and far between these days but do beware of people putting the scarce first type in the very much more common third type blue box with a stripe. Any surviving bubble-type packs are worth a fortune now.

The wheels I did not illustrate before so here are comparisons of the early Type A, which almost appears 'filled in', and Type A which is a much cleaner wire wheel.


I can also illustrate the different base shapes now too. The oval and round sections near the exhaust are quite easy to see.


What I have not listed separately - because I have only just noticed it - is the very distinct difference between the paintwork on the two models I have just acquired. The early Type 1 model with silver bumpers has a very smooth 'champagne silver' colour and the later model, a Type 3, has quite different and slightly more metallic-looking paintwork.

Perhaps all the early models were produced in the champagne silver shade with the more metallic silver coming later. I need more information on this if anyone can help. Both the comparatively scarce models that I have shown here are totally original. It is entirely reasonable to see a change of shade or type of paint over 8 years, of course. It would just be nice to know when the change may have occurred and to what extent models of particular types may be available in them.

I shall then add an extra row to the timeline illustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment