Monday 25 September 2017

The Wilford Collection Pt 3: Gold Rovers


Two more items from this fascinating collection now. I am pretty sure that these are both solid brass - a 252 Rover 2000 and 438 Land Rover - each with exactly the same features and general build as the normally issued models and very heavy.

I have seen a similar Rover which has been attached to the top of a cigarette box to make a gift to be distributed by the Rover car maker in or around 1964. This model, however, looks like it was intended to be presented as it stands, probably boxed, as the base is all as normal, including rivets.





The Land Rover is not something I can find any mention of anywhere. Yes, you will read about 'gold plated Land Rovers' but they were just shiny 1998 items made in China for Land Rover's 50th anniversary. This is a real 1960s 438 model with the same lemon plastic interior and grey steering wheel, suspension and with even a quite ordinary grey plastic canopy that would have been fitted to the dark green editions sold in boxes.

I would imagine that each of these is one of a few that would have been produced for gifts for special visitors - either to Corgi's premises or, perhaps, Rover's.

Once again, any information that anyone might have which could provide evidence for the purpose of these wonderful models and how many were made, as well as expressions of interest from anyone wishing to acquire them, would be much appreciated.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Andrew,

    I'm afraid that I'm a little late, but I have just found your article about the brass Corgi Rovers. Indeed I'm wishing to acquire the Rover 2000.

    Sincerely yours

    Martin

    If you like to answer me, my mail-adress is meberstaller@t-online.de.

    ReplyDelete