Monday 6 March 2017

Corgi Toys @ 60: The Jaguar 2.4 Saloon



March 1957 saw these two lovely models added to the Corgi list. They chose the Jaguar 2.4 litre which was the more modest-sized engine of the Jaguars available but the classic shape made a fine model and would have been a desirable item at the time.

It was one of only a few models produced in white by Corgi. This colour doesn't show off the silver items as well but it did suit the car. The Mechanical version was a lovely shade of metallic blue.

It seems to be closest to the darker car below, with its radiator grill having fewer, more widely spaced verticals. I am not sure what the white real car is - it may be a slightly later version of the Mk1 but not the 1961 MkII type which became the Jaguar 240.

I have always been a fan of the S Type Jaguar and had a lovely black 4.2 model myself until the gearbox threatened to cost me more than the car had done. So when I first saw these models I thought they looked a little short and higher than they should be but now I see that they were actually very close reproductions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment