Saturday 13 April 2024

Rover 2000 variations

Well, I seem to learn something every day! I have just noticed, after more years of collecting Corgi Toys than many people have been alive, that there are two types of window in the Rover 2000. So far, I have only seen the two varieties on the steel blue 252 model but I expect we'll discover it on the maroon edition and, perhaps, the Monte Carlo 322 model. I shall now have to check all my models and hope the photos I have taken of others over the years are good enough to show me the difference.



The difference is in the window unit which has a line included to indicate where there would have been separate panes in the real model. The Austin A40 had this to indicate what was then described as a quarter light at the front. I remember that there are two types of 230 Mercedes 220SE Coupé too but this is the first time I've noticed it on the Rover 2000.

Then I looked at the two Rovers more closely and discovered two badge styles and slightly different front grilles too!




The top is the 252 model without window unit lines and has a different shape of badge to the second model as well as slight difference in how the grille lines have been dealt with. I also took a look at a 322 model and find another variation here with a much less well-defined badge. (you can also see a surprisingly poor alignment of the additional jewelled lights! I remember being very annoyed with myself when I made a similar error when drilling holes in a 252 to make a reproduction 322 International Rally model but maybe I should not have worried as this happens on the genuine models after all!)

So, as well as window lines we also now need to look at the badges! I had not expected to need two steel blue 252s in my catalogue. I was prepared for a colour difference as some do seem to be blue-silver and others more silver-blue but so far I have been unable to have two different shades side by side so I may be imagining that.

So far, all my 322 models and the maroon 252s with cast wheels have had the lines in the window units. I have not checked the badges but will update this another day on that topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment