Monday 15 April 2024

Farewell to the Classics

The word Classics has been used on several occasions in Corgi history but the 'Classics' I refer to here is the series of early 20th Century jalopies which started with the Model T Ford in January 1964. There were only nine models:

January 1964 9011 Model T Ford in black open with two figures


January 1964 9012 Model T Ford in yellow open with two figures

February 1964 900/9001 Bentley 3 litre 1927 Le mans in green with RN3 decals, hood and driver


February 1964  900/9002 Bentley 3 litre 1927 Le Mans in red with hood and driver

July 1964 9021 1910 Daimler 38HP in red open with four figures

November 1964 9013 Model T Ford in blue with hood and figure

April 1965 9032 1910 Renault 12/16 in primrose

April 1965 9031 1910 Renault 12/16 in lavender

May 1966 9041 1912 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost

A Daimler with a hood was featured as 9022 'Available later' in the 1966 and 1967 Corgi catalogues as well as 9014, a Model T Ford Lyons Tea van but neither reached the store shelves. I had a factory sample of the Daimler and you'll find articles about that in the archives.

The Rolls Royce was adapted in a pretty terrible way for The Hardy Boys, an American band I'd never heard of, and that did make the stores as #805. The Bentley also had a revival in January 1966 in The Avengers Gift Set 40 with a folded hood and Steed at the wheel in red with gold or steel wheels or another shade of green with red wheels and then a further extension with Jeeves at the wheel of another shade of green Bentley with folded roof, reddish interior and Bertie Wooster standing beside it in #9004. There was a dreadful version of the Renault for Basil Brush too as #808 which I have just been reminded about although I would have preferred to forget that one!

I have never been a fan of these models. I do respect the excellent production quality and detail but they didn't interest me at the time and still don't move me. I have to see quite a few Bentleys as I am a big fan of The Avengers TV series and deal with many Gift Sets but that's it. The others I purchased when I started the catalogue so that I could document them and look for variations and I have acquired several since when they have arrived with something else. I seem to have acquired half a dozen Rolls Royces but don't recall paying for any!

I have spotted a few variations, like the radiator and lights on the Model T Ford appear in bright shiny chrome, a dullish brass colour and a very bland grey metal finish. The Daimler appears occasionally with bare metal side lights and horn which should be chromed. There are gold or silver or both colour wheels on the Rolls Royce, and one model I have has a black exhaust whereas the others are grey. There is a primrose, rather than bright yellow, edition of the Model T Ford that I have but I have a feeling that was a factory sample and not an issued model. A Daimler, which I think is a factory sample has rubber tyres, much more pliable than all the others which appear to be plastic (and not just hardened rubber).

That's all I've noticed, though, and now I've decided that they simply have to go. Prices are really quite low so to get rid of them I am going to have to quote very small prices. Those that are in nice condition with the correct figures (but no boxes) will be just £12.50 and the others where the figures are missing just £9 or less for any not in close to mint condition. There are a couple of factory samples - the primrose Ford I mentioned and a Daimler with soft rubber (not hard plastic) tyres, both missing windscreens - which will be a bit more.

Before I put them on sale elsewhere I thought I'd give anyone reading this a chance to have some as they're nearly all in excellent condition and the prices are definitely reasonable. These prices are in my own web store rather than Ebay where they'll be a bit more to cover the fees.


No comments:

Post a Comment