Sunday 22 April 2018

Few Ferrari differences; 314 revisited



While I was waiting for someone to reply from Ferrari regarding one of the other known copies of the gold-plated 314, and to answer a question a collector had asked, I took a closer look at the good old Ferrari Berlinetta 250 Le Mans.

This appeared in the local toy shop in early 1965 and you'll still see it in the 1972 catalogue where it shares the honour or being one of only two models with wire wheels, the other being the James Bond Aston Martin. It is also the only model from the 1965 release to survive that long other than some farm equipment. During all those years not a great deal changed. I had thought at first that nothing had changed but when I looked a little closer I noticed a couple of things.

First the decals appear to come in two flavours. One is the familiar aged, cream background type with a well-defined and fairly thin numeral. The other has a very white background of the sort that makes you think it is a reproduction but it isn't, and the numeral is slightly thicker. The yellow stripe is also a touch wider, I think. I haven't measured them so it may just be an illusion, one of my models not being that well blessed in that respect. 


The second difference is on the base where there are extensions at an angle at the rear of the two raised lines running front to back. One might think they were a sort of suggestion of exhaust pipes but the model had chrome pipes already sticking out the back and, of course, it is a rear engine anyway. The chrome pipes have mostly disappeared on my red models, by the way, and that's a common fault to look out for as they are quite vulnerable to snapping.


The gold-plated edition would appear to be the first type with no extensions to the lines on the base.



I cannot say for certain which edition came first but I would guess that the straight lines were on the first type and the extensions added at some point to make a second type. Whether the decal change occurred at the same time, I can't tell, but it is pretty unlikely.

What does surprise me is why this car didn't get cast, spoke effect wheels like just about everything else did, including buses and Land Rovers! These would have been regularly fitted to models from about 1967 and the Mustang, for example, gets them in place of the wire wheels. By 1972 I really would have expected a change. At least it didn't get Whizzwheels so I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies.




Illustrations from extravaganzi.com and allcarcentral.com

The model itself was not a brilliant miniature version of the real thing and rumour has it that Ferrari were not that impressed. Whether that is really the case or not I still can't be sure. Perhaps the gold edition I have is the one that Ferrari's boss got at the time but he sent it back (as suggested by another collector)!

The obvious difference would be the headlamps. Corgi's attempt to give the impression of the glass cover area simply didn't work and seems to lack a third dimension. (It would, incidentally, be three years before they got anywhere near getting that type of headlamp right with the Mini Marcos.)

Many real models also had a different exhaust arrangement at the back. The one I could find that was very similar to the model also had a quite different (and very smooth) treatment to the rear window area which would have been nice to see on the Corgi 314.

I am not sure where the blue windows and chrome interior come from but I suppose it did add a touch of the exotic to the toy for us children at the time. I just remember thinking how hot it must have been in there.

Anyway, check your 314s and you should find plenty of whichever edition you need easy to find. None are expensive, so many having been produced. Just watch out for those broken exhausts.



No comments:

Post a Comment