Sunday 13 October 2024

Chalet repairs

 

This delightful 'Motel' is one that Corgi built for sales personnel to show to dealers to promote sales of the #611 Kit. (I understand that they also created all the other kits too for the same reason.) I was very fortunate to acquire this very same item, as you will see from my photo below of the box I have. 




It was sold by Vectis in their Ron Slyder Collection way back in 2007 and made £240 then, or more like £300 by the time fees and delivery would have been added.



Over time the Motel sign and a tiny bottle have gone missing, and maybe a second glass. (I need to check on that). Otherwise, however, it is complete and looks stunning.


In the illustrations of the model on the box there is a yellow Jaguar 2.4 so I have added one of mine here.


This was purchased a few days ago by a Japanese collector but, on its way to Heathrow to the agent who would transfer it on, it became damaged. Rough handling caused two of the railings at the top to come adrift and the drainpipe at one end to come off.


The was also a loose edge to one wall but the most awkward damage was to the parasol with the pole breaking. I could not see how it could be possible to re-join that very fine pole. The parasol itself comes off freely but still this would be the most delicate of repairs to undertake and beyond my ability.





This work was not beyond the amazing powers of Olga Savina-Hill, however, a remarkable artist in her own right and capable of quite extraordinarily detailed work that would normally require the patience of several saints. She kindly helped me with this task and today delivered the chalet looking like new. She even got the stairs working so that when you lift a panel on the roof the stairs drop down, which I had not attempted to test before.

I have, of course, refunded the man from Japan and will now re-list this. Maybe he will buy it again (at a big discount after all the trouble) or maybe it will stay available for a while. I am happy to keep this as it is a very attractive item to display. I don't really need this particular special one, though, and would be quite happy with another that someone has put together. They are really not easy to find, though, and I would be very surprised if I ever find the bottles and glasses - these are minute little pieces of clear plastic which will so easily get lost forever.

There are complete kits for sale from time to time and I had one for sale a year or so ago. Again, there aren't many, however, and, in any event, I do not want to open a pristine kit and attempt to make one myself. I might consider stealing the bottle and glass(es), though.

On the subject of kits, I would very much like to get all the items needed for the Silverstone Set. For that I need everything but for the Garage Set I have everything except the Batley garages. I have nice mats for both too. I also have the two phone boxes, beautifully painted by Olga too. If I do ever manage to get the items needed in ready made-up form then I can't imagine that I would ever sell them. These are things that any money I do make from the business will go towards and I look forward to being able to display them again another day.

So, if anyone out there has some buildings they don't want or even some little bottles or glasses, do get in touch. If they are inexpensive because they need repair then so much the better as I know someone who can do that!


No comments:

Post a Comment