Tuesday 20 August 2024

Qualitoys update

 

I had something of a dilemma with some recent Qualitoys purchases. These models are packed in a sturdy bubble pack which might have been nice on the shelves but not ideal for collectors. The plastic is simply glued to the card and, whilst one or two have become detached with age and the model can be slipped out without further damage, those that remain firmly attached require a decision to be made. Do I keep the item like new and never actually see another view of the model? Or do I break in somehow?

As these particular models appear to be available pretty cheaply I decided that there would be precious little difference in value between the model in a nearly mint pack and one in a slightly damaged pack. At the current low prices that a nearly mint one can be found for then there really is not much to lose! I was also heavily influenced by wanting to see whether there was a horse in the Horsebox, as well as simply wanting to take a closer look at these models.

For some I made a neat cut with a scalpel in the card at the back to release the model and it closes up neatly which should still be reasonably satisfactory for someone as and when these are to be sold again.

The nice new models are illustrated below and they are really quite nice out of that bubble. As many that are available loose do tend to have been very well played with by kids, as indeed was the intention, it is unusual to see them in this new condition.



The trailer is one item that doesn't do anything but you can still load it up and attach it to one of the trucks.



The pony is there and this one's brown. I am sure that others I have seen were white so that is something I need to research more. The white roof comes off quick easily, and was hanging off in the packet but not by enough to see the horse. There is a ramp which folds up too which didn't look right in a half open, half closed state in the pack so I am happy to have got it out.



The tower truck has three plastic sections, one of which can be lifted up and the top one rotates.





The Breakdown Truck has a familiar 'Corgi' hook and a handle I've seen before!





This version of the Truck has a rear section that tips to one side. Otherwise it looks just like the basic Truck but in a different colour scheme. It was probably the most popular model and there re many around but, so far, I haven't seen a nice one at a reasonable price.


One mystery is now solved! I had not looked closely at the models promoted on the back of the card for some models - you'll see that there is a Horsebox Trailer and that is catalogued as #709. I have yet to see one, though. I wonder whether there is a set of the basic Truck with the Horsebox Trailer? Anyway I have now updated the list as you'll see below. There may still be one to find but so far a different model eludes me. It does seem that some of these items may be particularly scarce - or are they just not deemed worth listing on Ebay or wherever by anyone who has them?


1 comment:

  1. Andrew, I am interested in your Qualitoy blog as I have just started collecting them over the last few weeks mostly as an oddity.
    And as there is hardly anything known about them your comments / lists have been invaluable. I have found online an origional Corgi advert for the first 8 and lets say advertising standards have changed quite a bit.
    I will keep looking forward to your posts

    Ian

    ReplyDelete