Sunday 12 February 2023

Ferrari changes

 


Two Ferrari F1 models arrived this weekend. I hadn't really wanted two. I saw one at a reasonable price and bought it but, before paying, I had a look at what else the seller had available, something I usually do where the cost of postage of a single item is a hefty proportion of the value of the item and buying two or three items can spread that cost a little. On this occasion the chap had a second one which I had been following, better but at a higher price. Unknown to me at the time, he'd sent me an offer of quite a bit off which, coupled with what would now be effectively free postage, I couldn't resist. So I finished up with two 154 Ferrari F1s.

There's something nice about having several similar models side by side and I  often spend a while seeing if I can spot any differences. Usually I find nothing of particular note but today I had quite a surprise.

Firstly, the 36 decals caught my eye. I am quite fussy when it comes to font styles and get quite annoyed at whoever makes most of the repro decals for the Monte Carlo Gift Set 38 cars as they're quite wrong.  Here they're both 'right' but they're different. There is a larger gap between the sections of the numbers, most noticeable at the top right of the number 6. At first I thought it might be due to the transfer breaking up but that is not the case. It is a different product.

Secondly, the Ferrari badge is larger on the model with the broken transfer.


The model on the left is a late production, evidenced by the type of tyres that are fitted. This model did, in fact, have a remarkably long run, lasting from January 1963 all the way through to 1972. It is understandable, therefore, that there would have been changes along the way to things like transfers.

What I did not expect was a difference in the body itself. It took a while but eventually I had to conclude there is, thirdly, quite a big change in the shape of the nose of the car. The newer model is slimmer and there is a more obvious casting line.




Finally I thought I'd better have a look underneath and, at first, thought they were pretty much identical. Then I saw the two rectangular shapes on the rear axle of the newer edition. That's difference number 4.



I am aware that tyres can simply be switched so they may not be totally firm evidence of one model being later than the other but I would be prepared to bet that they are original and will amend my catalogue entry and it was only last month that I celebrated the Ferrari's 60th birthday with a brief summary, believing it to have remained the same throughout its life.

No comments:

Post a Comment