Saturday 8 October 2022

Corgi Model Club: a most impressive Impala


This is simply gorgeous. I don't know what it is about this model but it really appeals to me and sums up all that was great about Corgi Toys back in 1965. The Model Club have done themselves proud with this one. The key to its attraction are the colours and chrome and they've got both spot-on.


I have been searching, indeed, depending upon when you read this, perhaps still am searching, for an original of this model with cast wheels (and a saloon too). There are not many around. Not that many with shaped wheels either as this model only had a short production period and lasted less than a year as either a saloon in coffee and cream or this taxi in yellow and red. The police edition survived a lot longer and are much easier to find.


I hardly dare criticise the Model Club's design team but the rear lights on the original are less opaque, allowing some of the chrome shine to come through and creating an almost pearlescent flavour of crimson rather than simple red. I had always thought that this was because the original paint was not so good at sticking to the chrome surface. In China in 2022, however, the robots get this right first time - but it doesn't look quite right.

My other slight niggle regards the text on the box. The font used for the features is close but too bold. For the model name, however, there is a clear difference which I am surprised was not spotted in samples. The original text starts just under the front wheel but at some distance from it. The Corgi Model Club box has the text starting much further to the left and they haven't handled the spacing of the inverted commas well.



I am also unsure how the box size compares to the original but I don't have one with which to make a comparison. Something seems odd with the position of the model name - perhaps the font is too large.



Putting these minor matters to one side, however, this is a real success and, despite some of the money going to support the Chinese Communist Party, I am delighted to have one. I hope to have a couple of spares if anyone overseas cannot get hold of one so do get in touch and reserve one as I suspect they'll be popular.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment